When you decide that you want a new pet, it can be a very exciting time for your family. Soon there will be an extra family member to fill your days with joy. But while the prospect of a new pet may seem exciting, there are a lot of things you need to consider before you buy one. A new pet will live with you for a long time and will cost you money, so you need to make sure you are making the right decision.
This article will discuss the different types of pets for your family, some easy ways to train your new pet and ways you can save so that you can afford your new pet.
Which pet is right for your family?
When deciding which pet to purchase/rescue, you can’t just pick the one you find the cutest. Different types of pets require different types of care. For example, cats can be relatively low maintenance, however, they still require daily care. Dogs, on the other hand, require a lot of physical exercise, training and feeding.
Here are some things you need to consider when picking the right type of pet for your family.
- Dog: while a puppy may be a cute addition to your home, you need to think carefully before getting one. No two dogs are the same, so make sure you spend time with a puppy before choosing it. If you have small children, a dog may not be the best option as they do not always get on with kids.
- Cat: cats are independent creatures. They need food, water, care and attention on a daily basis but leaving them overnight is definitely easier to do. If you have young kids, be wary that cats may scratch if they are being pestered.
- Hamster: if you want to try your hand at looking after a smaller pet first, a hamster might be the answer. These creatures only live 2 or 3 years, and are nocturnal. These are low maintenance animals but will still require feeding every day and having their cage clean.
There are many different pets to choose from, and all require different levels of care, so make sure you do your research.
Pet tips and tricks
Once you have chosen which pet is best for your family, here are some tips and tricks to make caring for your pet easier.
- Register with a vet: your new pet is probably going to need vaccines and other medicines while it is young. It is also wise to register with a vet in case your pet gets ill in the future. It is also important that you get your pet micro chipped in case it goes missing.
- Buy the necessary items for your pet: make sure to buy a bed/cage, the right kind of food and a variety of toys for your new pet so that it will be comfortable and happy in your new home.
- Make sure you have the time: pets require a lot of attention, especially when they are younger. You should aim to give at least 1 hour of attention to your pet every day.
How to save money for your new addition
Even if you adopt a rescue, a new pet will be expensive, and you need to make sure you can afford your new family member. Here are some easy ways to save for a pet:
- Meal prep and plan your groceries: an easy way to save money every week is to meal prep and only buy what you need at the supermarket every week. Stopping yourself from buying unnecessary items can save you thousands of pounds every year.
Lower your utility bills: an easy way to save money each month is to lower your utility bills. Make sure you check different comparison websites where you have the power to choose a lower rate.